The Horn Shoppe Forum
July 11, 2020, 07:08:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm sorry...I really am  (Read 6584 times)
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: May 18, 2011, 12:08:48 PM »

What can I say?
You'll have to "login" to see the image...................
Ed

* Horny Heil.jpg (24.64 KB, 480x640 - viewed 49 times.)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 01:14:55 PM by Ed Schilling » Logged
SOM

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 01:28:06 PM »

Ok I'll bite.

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING?
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 01:59:11 PM »

Is that the tweeter from Buzz's Open Baffle???
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 02:00:55 PM »

Well, it's not "just a Heil stuck on a Horn". It is a real, high efficiency 2 way and a  proper implementation, of a Heil Air Motion Transformer. It is a true 2 way with a proper crossover (asymmetrical, BTW). I have experience with the Heil going back to when they were invented. Seldom are they used properly. I decided to change that.

And yes, boys, it will run on my 3 watt CFA.....easily. It's tube friendly!

It's fantastic....and expensive. And every single Horn owner can modify their Horns for it. I always said I'd never let the Horns become obsolete or unable to be "upgraded"! This is not really an upgrade, it is a completely different speaker.
Ed
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 02:05:29 PM by Ed Schilling » Logged
steve f
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 08:58:29 AM »

Ed,

I'm not surprised; that's the next logical progression in the design. What does surprise me is that the Heil is efficient enough to match up well with the  126en.  So little has been published on the driver.  I have a buddy who owns  a pair of old Heil speakers, and you are right the woofer (and box IMO) is the weak point in previous designs.  Sound wise the Heil is damn near invisible.  Very dynamic.  Since the Horn is back loaded, and the tweeter is a dipole, wave coherence should be pretty good. I'll bet it sounds great.  Now that a single Horn can be modded, are there any plans for the model 2 & 3 speakers?

Steve
Pit Hinder

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 11:35:02 PM »

Steve,
   the Heil is a crazy contraption. The membrane is folded and moves accordion style. = an incredibly big emitting surface in a tweeter that looks smallish. Hard to build within tolerances, so not cheap.
Ed doesn´t rip you off, as usual - he only buys the best, has married the best and knows his customers/friends to want the best.

Pit
steve f
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 01:13:29 AM »

Pit,

Yeah, Heil drivers are way cool.  I wonder if they can be used with Model two's.  Ed has had the design for a few days, and already I want him to build the next model. LOL.

Steve
Pit Hinder

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 05:36:54 AM »

Steve,

depends on how old you are and how much of your hearing you have ruined in noisy bars. The years in contact with Ed make me sure that

a) he´s good

and

b) his customers/friends still have ears good enough to appreciate what he does.

The Heils can digest tons of power before they start producing ugly harmonics. You´ll never turn the wick that far high.

Price...buy them in a glitzy mall emporium or from a fellow redneck - the money saved might buy you a holiday with a pretty blonde.

Pit
RandyCantrell

Everything is hard until it's easy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 12:44:01 PM »

Just when I didn't think you could get any dumber, you go and TOTALLY REDEEM yourself.

http://youtu.be/UnkefjCES-4

Good job, Ed. Proving once again, that you indeed are, the Hunter S. Thompson of the audio world.

Live long and prosper,
Randy

Once proud owner of Ed's Horns, First Watt F1, First Watt Aleph J, Ed's CigarBox custom made preamp, Sony Modwright DVD/SACD player with tube output. One of these days, I'll get back in the game! Ed's Horns will be the first to return.
SOM

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 01:24:31 PM »

Just when I didn't think you could get any dumber, you go and TOTALLY REDEEM yourself.

http://youtu.be/UnkefjCES-4

One of the GREAT movies of our age!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: