The Horn Shoppe Forum
August 06, 2020, 03:57:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: FU 32 or Amp Camp.  (Read 397 times)
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 12:45:07 PM »

The amp camp amps are on my shortlist. Hell, they even look great. My big question is how hot do they run?
I used to have a Transcendent Sound SE-OTL that ran class A and it was one of the absolutely best sounding amps ever. It also doubled as a space heater. That’s what I fear about the Amp Camp units. When you live in a desert, heating the room matters. I wish Mr Pass would do a AB amp kit.

steve
2wo

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2020, 07:27:14 AM »

I know, I have summer amps and winter amps. The Amp camp does run class A but there is only one power FET per channel, maybe like a 100W light bulb, certainly less than 2. Nothing compared to an OTL...John 

"...there was a knock on the door and a voice shouted "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms" and I thought it was a delivery"
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2020, 07:59:00 AM »

What John said.  The heat sinks get warm, but they are pretty small.  I don't see a thermal impact in my room.  If you plan to operate it in a smaller room space, it could be an issue.  I equate it to be like running a mid-sized led tv.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 03:09:53 PM by Henry » Logged
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2020, 01:27:13 PM »

Thanks guys. I can deal with a couple of hours of a tiny Class A amp I guess. I really don’t feel like Doing anything with tubes anymore. Knowing me, I’ll probably end up with the Amp Camp Amp. Since Coronavirus has kept me out of the garage, I can sit home with a soldering station, daytime tv, and a couple of beers... afterwards.
I do have an affinity for Class A Sound. The SE-OTL gave me that. I remember at a horn fest years ago someone brought one that I hooked up to Ed’s Model 3 speakers. Remember those? Together they lit up the pink room. Couldn’t keep it together as somebody wanted to plug in a Decware Zen, which wasn’t quite there. Maybe not enough current.
I have faith in Mr Pass, and the opinions you guys bring. Thank you.

steve
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: