The Horn Shoppe Forum
June 06, 2020, 01:14:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Price Of Audio Equipment  (Read 153 times)
vrod

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2020, 01:11:53 PM »

I am about ready to give up on the Absolute Sound and Stereophile. Remember when audio prices were reasonable? Today you don't buy a speaker: you buy the equivqlent of a Lamborghini masquerating as a speaker and there is no relationship between price and sound quality. This is why I like ED's equipment, there is no BS! Advertisements in these magazines frequently are associated with ridiculous hype and $30,000 or more prices for amps and speakers is not beyond the norm. The word audiophile is now associated with snobbery by way of ridiculous assertions; we no longer listen to music we talk about front to back depth and wide sound stages. Where are we going with all this?
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 03:17:32 PM »

Yep vrod, there comes a time where music is relegated to second place to impressively priced equipment.  If it takes a four-figure AC cord or interconnects to make someone happy, they're off the rails. I think most folks that visit Ed's site are feeling your pain.  We are the guys seeking world class performance at a reasonable price.  We have to accept the absence of a led rainbow and gobs of wasted aluminum.

For me, I'm happy with anything that makes me want to listen past my bedtime. 
Steve F

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 11:21:28 PM »

The audio rags aren’t honest. Independent reviews tend to be more real. Arthur Salvatore has a nice series about reviewing the reviewers. Check it out. Arthur also was the guy who put Ed’s Truth on the map.
steve
Capt. Z

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 02:29:06 AM »

Several years ago I came to the conclusion, that I will be far better off buy from people like Ed or Bruce (Transcendent)

Or go vintage. Lots of great vintage stuff out their that sounds very groovy.
2wo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 06:53:39 AM »

I build my own amps and revue them myself.

I give myself extra points if their not just stuck to a piece of plywood  Grin...John 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 07:09:04 AM by 2wo » Logged

"...there was a knock on the door and a voice shouted "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms" and I thought it was a delivery"
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 02:19:25 PM »

John, your wood mounted amps are the most organic and impart that palpable cedar scent. 
Eric Brodersen

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 02:35:20 PM »

2wo, I’d love to see some pictures of your work.
2wo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 09:39:37 AM »

No actual cats were harmed in the making of this motion picture

It was a close thing though...John

* line stage.jpg (2406.68 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 11 times.)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 01:15:04 PM by 2wo » Logged

"...there was a knock on the door and a voice shouted "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms" and I thought it was a delivery"
2wo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 09:48:19 AM »

Hear's something a little more civilized, a Parafeed 45 amp, I had this at Hornfest last year

A few screws to hold the face plate on and I could almost call this one done Wink...John

* 45amp.jpg (1686.68 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 12 times.)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: