The Horn Shoppe Forum
July 14, 2020, 10:08:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: THE Gain Stage.  (Read 531 times)
Ed Schilling
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: April 15, 2020, 12:32:18 PM »

I bet you can guess what I will call it..............yep........   "THE Gain Stage"

I have one finally. It is stand alone, one input and output but I could add more. It has 9db of gain and this should be more than enough for it's intended purpose. It can be wired for 15 db.

It's transparent and has no effect on the sound except to add gain. In my system it allows my Hagerman phono stage to drive my amps to clipping (more than full output)  with all my cartridges and I have tested it with my DAC which did not need the gain but it works as intended and supplied it.

I have no idea of the specs but as usual the input has pretty much an input impedance to high to measure, as if it's not there. The output does not matter because it sees an infinite impedance as well when hooked to the Truth, again, it's as if it sees no load. The Truth could care less. Fancy xformers provide the gain.

The xformers are very expensive, "super permalloy windings and laminations " and the case is "mu-metal", they are hand wound in Italy.

Anyone interested, in it  just shoot me email. I also have the xformers to make a 6db version and it's a little cheaper. This one can be +6, +9, or +15 so they cost a good bit more. The 6 db xformers are only +6.

It may  be going over seas  but I'm not sure yet so I figured I check for interest. I can build a second one for  the fellow over there if he does decide to get one. It's not actually sold yet and I can duplicate it easily. It's all figured out now.

This duplicates Arthur's T-4 except the gain stage is external.

Helen and I hope y'all are safe.
Ed
ps...it's very expensive but I see no other way to achieve the same results (zero noise and completely transparent) any other way.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 12:34:14 PM by Ed Schilling » Logged
Luddite

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 05:54:39 AM »

Thanks for the update, Ed. I'm going to take the dogs for a walk, and after I get back and get them fed, I'll be sending you that email.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: